Services & Amenities
Information on services in the parish, including those not directly operated by the Parish Council
There are 3 allotments in the parish, on Colby Road. All are let at present, but if you would like to put your name down for an allotment as and when one becomes available, please contact the Clerk and we can start a waiting list. The Council also has a piece of arable land for which tenders are invited on an annual basis. It is currently let until the autumn of 2020.
The original hall was the Reading Room, built in 1912. It was extended in the late 1970's to become the Jubilee Hall and the Sandy Lane social club, and is now "home" to a number of organisations as well as being available for private hire - more details on the Village Hall page of this website.
Following a review of how the hall is used, and looking to the future, the village hall was to be the main topic for discussion at this year's Annual Parish Meeting, but this was cancelled under Coronavirus restrictions. As soon as the restrictions are lifted, a special meeting will be arranged.
As the parish is made up of 2 villages, we have 2 churches - St Botolphs Banningham, and St Giles Colby. Both are part of the United Benefice of Kings Beck which now includes Swanton Abbot and Sloley in addition to our villages, Felmingham, Skeyton, Suffield and Tuttington. The Parish Council makes an annual grant to both Colby & Banningham church Friends Committees towards the maintenance of the churchyards as burial grounds.
The Parish Council purchased the red telephone box outside The Old Post Office on Church Road Colby in 2019.
It has now been repaired and repainted with new signage to show its proposed use as an Information Point. Work is underway to produce all the information which will be displayed in A3 frames in "flip" form. At the centre of the backboard there will be a map of the parish.
Although we are now in lockdown - again - the work is continuing, and we hope to have a formal launch in the Spring/early summer - as soon as we are all properly allowed out.
Banningham Village Green is located near to St Botolph's Church and The Banningham Crown. It has been maintained by the Parish Council since the late 1950's and in 2006, the Parish Council "bought" from, North Norfolk District Council for £1. Bannningham Bowls Club leases part of the green from the Council and the current lease runs to 2019. The green was well known for its cycle speedway track until the early 1960's!
The Playing Field on Bridge Road Colby was gifted to the parish by the Eldens, of Highbury Farm, in 1979. It is maintained by the Parish Council, with help from "Wild About Colby" (WAC) - this group has carried out several environmental projects including the copse and creation of a wildflower margin, as well as working with the Council on tree management.
The tree planting weekends were well supported, and the trees are growing well. Plans will be made for the next stage of the project - the wildflower area for implementation next Spring.